Sunday, March 27, 2011

Things we now know about winter and spring

It's time to share our new found knowledge...

 It's good to have a few things in your car in case you get stuck.  Kitty litter, warmers, extra water and food, a phone charger, blankets, flashlight, etc.  Luckily we didn't have to use them this year but we soon realized we were unprepared for winter driving.  Michelle still has an unhealthy fear of driving and has learned to just stay in if at all possible when it is snowing until the roads are cleared.  Also what is it with Utah and having very little street lights anywhere?  We were driving in the rain the other day at night and there wasn't a street lamp for miles.  

We've also learned other words about winter like "bibs" and "inverse."  Bibs are the snowpants with suspenders that keep you warm for outdoor play.  The kids have some but we were always too sick to use them when it happened to be snowing so we never did get hours and hours of sledding as we'd hoped for in the bibs.  

Also, inverse is when the air holds a hazy dirty quality to it because of lack of wind and cold/warm fronts.  Some of us got some headaches until another storm blew threw and cleaned up the air.


Now spring is approaching and the kids are learning what that means.  They are looking for signs of green on the trees, learning how to climb trees for the first time (palms and cactus in AZ just won't do) and enjoying wearing jackets again instead of the whole winter garb of gloves, mittens, coats, boots, etc.  

The weather can be crazy with clouds, rain, sun and snow all in the same day.  There will be a warm day here and there where the whole world emerges and heads to the parks and pulls out the bikes.  I wish we had a garden to plant in spring but it'll have to wait till next year.  












2 comments:

The Pierce Family said...

Ahhh, Utah inversions. Aren't they the worst? The only way to escape is to go high in the mountains and go skiing; then there is beautiful blue sky above, yet the nastiest-looking gray, hazy valley for your view. (It's kind of cool to see actually.) No one here has ever heard of inversions either. We had to explain what they are quite a few times.

I am so glad you are seeing signs of Spring. Utah has a really nice Spring, but I never look forward to my springtime allergies. You'll have to tell me when you get the winds one of these nights while the weather changes. Sometimes I felt like the house was going to blow over, and I would go out and check my trees, positive they would all be broken.

Ju Ju said...

If you are wanting to plant garden stuff, my gardening skills could use some help. I know having a baby makes it hard to do stuff like that, but I have found that working in soil makes me feel good. Now, if I could only find the time to do it. I have peas that need to go in the ground, but I can't find a second to get away to do it!