Saturday, March 12, 2011

Blog Tips

I've had a few people comment lately about me always posting on my blog so I thought I'd share a few blogging secrets.

1.  I learned how to blog last year from my sister and I really am hooked.  I now have multiple blogs about different topics and love to sit and read other people's too.  There is something cool about writing whatever you want and feeling like an author.  Or being heard.  Or maybe I like to hear myself.

2.  I sit down once or twice a month and upload photos from my camera.  Then I open a ton of tabs to my blog and upload them all at the same time according to theme/post ideas.  The whole process takes about 20 minutes.  I then save all the posts with pics as drafts to go back to later.

3.  When I get a minute (usually at night when the kids are in bed), I turn on the TV and pull up my blog drafts and add text or writing to them.  Then I choose "Post Options" ...."Scheduled at" below the post text box and give dates that spread across the month so it looks like I'm always on here but really it just releases it according to the schedule.  It's fun for me to pull up my own blog to see what comes up since I usually forget what I added on earlier in the month.  That whole process also takes about 30 minutes.

4.  My multiple blogs are:

t he family one.  stories of kids, our events and our life

my teacher-y, author one about anything education, or literacy.  Hardly any followers or comments but I get about 5-7 lookers a day from around the globe.  It links to my email but not my family blog since I censor a bit with kids' names and personal info on there.

C arter's new blog.  He is a good author these days.  He even started a club at school with 3 boys called the Writing Dudes.

My latest endeavor with my sister to compile cute ideas when we come across them.  We need more contributors if you are interested.

A fun one that so far only has a few family members contributing to it.  I've looked at it often though when I forget a recipe.  I modeled it after a friends' recipe blog that I liked.


Those are the ones that are public anyway.  There are also two private ones:  one for extending family to share what's going on and one for Doug's scouting calling.  One we began but need to go back to is one for Doug's genealogy ( a side project we are working on).

5.  I love helping other people set up their blogs.  Gives me more to read and gets others as hooked as me!  I need more.  I think people my age are just above the usual age for blogs.  People 5-10 years younger than me have like 100 friends' blogs to look at, but I have about 20.  

6.  None of my blogs make any money, although I do have an ad on my teacher blog in case it catches on with readers.  So far, in almost a year, I've made one cent on it.  So my hopes on being rich are low, but my interest in the topic is high.

7. Often when I read other people's blogs, I cry.  There are many people I know who use their blog to vent, but many more who share personal details that would otherwise go unsaid like how they are conquering big problems with health, a death of their child, or a heartbreak in their family.  

8.  I love to comment on others' blogs but rarely get any comments back.  If I didn't have my feedgit to show who looks at it, I'd be depressed at the lack of interest. But it shows people come and go on my blogs, they just don't comment.  Leave a little love, people!


9.  My kids often say things like:  "Take a picture of me, mom."  "Are you going to put that on your blog?"  as though they earn the right to be on it.  Haleigh wants one now that she can spell words like the, mom, dog, love.  I told her when she turns 8 like Carter, I'll make her one.  I think she just likes the sound of typing really fast.  Don't we all?


10.  Things I still want to try:  to master the new blogger templates.  I still can't figure out how to work with these new headings/titles.  to make a button, better widgets to change things up now and then, possibly a church blog with gospel doctrine lessons and links.  We'll see.  

So, that's some of my blog secrets.  Got any for me?

4 comments:

The Pierce Family said...

Can I just say: I comment on several of your blogs A TON, more than ANYONE else does, yet you almost NEVER comment on our blog, so there!! (We still love you and know you read it though.) Tiff rarely comments either, even on Jason's posts, but it doesn't bother us. Thanks for getting me into blogging and for helping me to set mine up. I have loved having a blog to stay in touch. It really is fun.

peachytiffers said...

I was totally going to make a post just like this tonight! Instead I spent all night giving you some love on your other blog and then came over to this one. How funny! Look for mine coming soon.

Mike and Meg said...

I look at your blog often. You inspired me to update tonight. Hope you all are doing well.

Alisa said...

I love that idea of posting throughout the month. Brilliant! And uploading several picture posts at a time?! Amazing! I didn't know blogger could do that. Thanks for the tips!