Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Parkinsons

There'll probably be many more posts about this since it is now our reality.  Doug was diagnosed in April with Early Onset Parkinson's Disease.  We are glad he's now working with neurologists that are specialized in movement disorders.  He takes a ton of pills throughout the day now to give his brain the lacking dopamine, plus others for a variety of symptoms. It's quite a task to keep it organized.

I keep all the info sheets for side effect problems.  We've only had two.  Apparently grapefruit reacts weird with many medications. 

Doug told his employers when we found out and they sent us a very kind card.  I'm glad we were honest because now Doug can be accommodated as needed for work.  Telling employers is one of the biggest challenges for Early Onsets PDs because you are still in your working years.

I carry this with me on his doctor visits because they are hard to watch him struggle with easy tasks. I usually get very emotional afterward.







A lot of pictures I have of Doug are him sleeping.  PD causes bone-deep fatigue.  He has some high symptom days and some good days too.  This pic shows what his facial muscles sometimes do.  His left side droops well over his eye sometimes.  




People drop off treats to us all the time out of kindness or pity, I'm not sure which.  The kids love it, and my waistline hates it.





1 comment:

peachytiffers said...

I bet this post feels like forever ago. I haven't seen his eye drooping like that. Does he notice it when it happens?