Friday, December 30, 2016

Year in Review 2016


Year in Review Challenge

I missed this last year so here is the results from 2016...

December 1 Trip. What was your best trip in 2016?  I went with Doug on his business trip and my 40th birthday to NYC.  While he worked, I explored the city and loved getting lost, then getting used to where things were.  Trying the foods, seeing the sights, and being pampered.  I'll never forget that trip.

December 2 Restaurant moment. Share the best restaurant experience you had this year.  I have loved going out now and then for a good steak.  It's my favorite meal.  


December 3 Article. What's an article that you read that blew you away? I read UNICEF's report on Children in Warfare and it was sad, but fascinating, and made me want to get involved.  It spoke of how schools and hospitals are often the first places used in war strategy and also children used as soldiers around the world.  Go here if you are interested...   https://documents-dds-ny.un.org/doc/UNDOC/GEN/N16/234/89/PDF/N1623489.pdf?OpenElement

December 4 Book. What book - fiction or non - touched you? Where were you when you read it? Have you bought and given away multiple copies? I've enjoyed reading the Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin.
December 5 Night out. Did you have a night out with friends or a loved one?  What was the highlight of the night?  I honestly haven't had many nights out with friends, but have been please that Doug and I have tried to do date nights almost weekly this year to have uninterrupted conversation, and adult time together.  It's a nice new addition.

December 6 Workshop or conference. Was there a conference or workshop you attended that was especially beneficial?  The United Nations tour during the Children as Soldiers report was given kept me spellbound for hours.  I didn't attend any other workshops this year.

December 7 Blog find of the year. That gem of a blog you can't believe you didn't know about until this year.  I have enjoyed reading The Freckled Fox, and also following Lisa Valentine's instagram of her experiences with her husband recently diagnosed with ALS.  They are going through similar things in their household. I've also enjoyed seeing my two oldest children join social media and watch over them as they spread their wings a bit.

December 8 Moment of peace.  Tough one.  I often don't feel at peace.  I do catch small moments now and then, usually with the children's innocent sweet nature.  I was very appreciative of Doug receiving a blessing from a general authority who also had brain issues in the past.  

December 9 Challenge. Something that really made you grow this year. That made you go to your edge and then some. What made it the best challenge of the year for you?  Obviously this one is my husband being diagnosed at age 46 with Parkinson's disease.  It's a daily challenge for the whole family.

December 10 Album of the year. I rarely get to listen to music but I've loved that my son is a master at Spotify and YouTube Music and we can listen to whatever we want through that.  I also loved the new Grinch song this holiday season by Jordan Smith. My kids and I loved the music in Jungle Book and also Moana as well. 


December 11 The best place.  My bathtub with bubbles.


December 12 New food.  I tried an authentic noodle house this year, and a few new kinds of desserts.  I am interested in trying to learn to cook chinese food better, and also more vegetarian dishes.

December 13 What's the best change you made to the place you live? We got a new air conditioner, new water heaters, and a new sewer system.  All needed and appreciated. Also some safety features around the house for Doug like railings.

December 14 Rush. When did you get your best rush of the year? I got to take my son to California on a plane ride and Universal Studios.  We had a great time, and I loved riding the rides with him. I also was very proud of him for achieving Eagle Scout and being honored.

December 15 Best packaging. Hmm... I have no idea.
December 16 Drink of the year.  I tried a Cherry Lime Aid that I really like from Sip-N, and also a pomegranate-orange juice fizzy soda that I liked.  I was very proud of myself for going off soda for four months, and all caffeine since September. Surprisingly... I drank real lemonade for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for a month and it dissolved all my painful kidney stones as well.  It was recommended to me by my urologist.

December 17 Word or phrase. A word that encapsulates your year. "2016 was _____." life-changing for us with us taking a lot of hits. We are ready for some "wins" to come our way.  

December 18 Shop. Online or offline, where did you spend most of your mad money this year? On amazon or food and clothes for the kids.  Or medical bills. Or having to fix the car a lot.  Or tuition.  Or the house repairs... Man, I feel poor.


December 19 Car ride. What did you see? How did it smell? Did you eat anything as you drove there? Who were you with?  We drove to AZ to see my parents for a week and the kids had a great time.  We love traveling and road trips.  


December 20 New person.  I have met a lot of doctors, and also reconnected with some old friends which is always fun.

December 21 Project. What did you start this year that you're proud of?  We have been blessed to have a gym built in our basement which will help Doug and the whole family with health and exercise and physical therapy.  
December 22 Startup. What's a business that you found this year that you love? Who thought it up? What makes it special?  I tried Popcornopolis in CA and have special ordered it since then for the rare flavors.  
December 23 Web tool. It came into your work flow this year and now you couldn't live without it. It has simplified or improved your online experience. Voice dictation on my phone in texting and Notes to "talk out" a lot of my reports. We also are trying out the Circle to control the media in our house.

December 24 Learning experience. What was a lesson you learned this year that changed you? That my children are growing up.  My teenager is starting to realize the faults of his parents, and that we aren't as funny as we think we are.

December 25 Gift. What's a gift you gave yourself this year that has kept on giving?  The new Christmas tree has been very fun.

December 26 Insight or aha! moment. What was your epiphany of the year?  It is my responsibility to care for my husband and children FIRST.  Everything else is secondary.

December 27 Social web moment.  I have appreciated the texts, messages and comments on social media supporting my family, and those who show up at my door to help in all sorts of ways.  


December 28 Stationery. What was your stationery find of the year?  I learned that larger christmas cards printed at Costco are actually half the cost and are done same-day rather than 2 weeks.  
 

December 29 Laugh. What was your biggest belly laugh of the year?  Hmmm. Can't recall but probably something the kids said.
 
December 30 Ad. What advertisement made you think this year?  Anything about Trump made me mad and think our country is going downhill.  

December 31 Resolution you wish you'd stuck with. Writing a book.


No comments: